• To understand about digital communication
• To familiarize with modulation technique.
• To develop understanding on different modulation techniques.
• To develop understanding on Digital communication.
• To develop understanding on multiplexing techniques used in communication system.
• To develop understanding on error detection and correction.
• To develop understanding on multiple access techniques.
• To develop understanding on Terrestrial radio communication system.
• To familiarize with electronic mail and document communication.
Introduction to digital communication, modulation technique; Pulse modulation; Pulse amplitude modulation; Pulse width modulation; Pulse code modulation; Digital communication; Multiplexing in communication system; Coder; Error detection and correction using block codes; Multiple access techniques; Terrestrial radio communication system; Radio wave propagation; Electronic mail and document communications.
1. Understand the basics of Digital communication
1.1 Define Analog and Digital communication system
1.2 Describe Digital communication system with Block diagram.
1.3 Mention the advantages of Digital communication system
1.4 Mention the digital signal and spectrum.
1.5 Compares between analog and digital communication system.
2 Understand the concept of modulation techniques.
2.1 Describe the principle of ASK, FSK, PSK and DPSK techniques.
2.2 Describe the generation principle of binary phase shift keying (BPSK), quadrature phase shift keying (QPSK).,
2.3 Describe the generation principle of fast frequency shift keying (FFSK) and minimum shift keying (MSK).
2.4 List the comparison of QPSK and FFSK.
2.5 List the applications of different shift keying methods.
3 Understand the concept of pulse modulation.
3.1 Define different types of pulse modulation.
3.2 Describe the method of generation and application of PPM, PDM and PWM signals.
3.3 Describe the sampling theorem and types of sampling.
3.4 Describe the quantisation & coding principle of PCM.
3.5 Describe the quantisation idle channel & noise for PCM.
3.6 Describe the principle of uniformly encoded PCM, differential PCM and delta modulation.
3.7 Describe the 32-channel PCM frame format.
3.8 Mention the advantages of PCM.
4 Understand the concept of multiplexing in communication system.
4.1 Define multiplexing and demultiplexing.
4.2 Mention different types of multiplexing and demultiplexing.
4.3 Describe the principle of FDM, TDM, WDM and DWDM with block diagram.
4.4 Describe the principle of orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM).
4.5 List the application of different multiplexing system.
5 Understand the features of coder.
5.1 Mention different types of coders.
5.2 Mention the categories of encoding schemes.
5.3 Describe the operation of channel coder.
5.4 Describe the principle of multipulse linear predictive coding process.
5.5 Describe the principle of level, bipolar, binary N zero substitution, ternary, digital biphase and differential coding techniques.
5.6 Mention the considerations of selection of encoder / decoder.
5.7 Describe the principle of conventional encoder.
6 Understand the concept of error detection and correction using block codes.
6.1 Describe the principle of error detection and correction by linear block codes.
6.2 Mention the fundamental concepts of cyclic codes.
6.3 Describe the principle of error detection with cyclic codes.
6.4 Describe the error location procedure by BCH codes.
6.5 Mention the application of block coding to digital communication by satellites.
7 Understand the concept of multiple access techniques.
7.1 Mention different multiple access techniques.
7.2 Describe the principle of frequency division multiple access (FDMA) technique and time /space division multiple access (TDMA) techniques.
7.3 Describe the principle of time division multiple access, frequency division multiple access frequency division duplex (TDMA-FDD) technique.
7.4 Describe the principle of time division multiple access time division duplex (TDMA-TDD) technique.
7.5 Describe the principle of frequency hopping and direct sequence code division multiple access technique.
7.6 Describe the principle of code division multiple access technique.
7.7 Describe the principle of carrier sense multiple access (CSMA) technique.
8 Understand the concept of terrestrial radio communication system.
8.1 Define terrestrial radio communication system and Mention the advantages of terrestrial radio system.
8.2 Describe the principle of wireless local loop (WLL) configurations with block diagram.
8.3 Describe the principle of shared radio system with block diagram.
8.4 Describe the principle of digital wireless local loop (WLL) using TDM/TDMA.
8.5 Describe the principle of DECT tele point and micro cellular system.
8.6 Describe the principle of terrestrial trunked radio configuration.
1. Study the generation principle of ASK.
2. Study the generation principle of FSK.
3. Study the generation principle of PSK, BPSK, QPSK.
4. Study the operation of pulse modulation (PPM, PDM, PWM).
5. Study the operation of pulse code modulation.
6. Study the operation of pulse code demodulation.
7. Study the generation principle of frequency division multiplexing signal.
8. Study the generation principle of time division multiplexing signal.
9. Study the operation of coders.
10. Study the operation of error detector.
11. Study the principle of different types of multiple access techniques.
12. Study the operation of terrestrial radio communication system.
1 Principle of Digital Communication System & Computer Network.
– Dr. K. V. K. K. Prasad.
2 Telecommunications and the Computer
– JAMES MARTIN
3 Electronic Communication System
– George Kennedy
4 Pulse and Digital Electronics
– A. K. Vanuasi and G. K. Mithal.
Powered By: BTEB